Shared special occasions with your boyfriend should be fun. If money is tight and you need to find a cheap gift for a big day for your boyfriend then it can be nerve racking. You’re not alone, though, and you’re definitely not the first girl to need to find cheap gift ideas for your boyfriend.
Even if he understands (And probably he doesn’t have a lot of money either so he does) you still can’t just do nothing for his birthday or ignore Christmas, you need to do something inexpensive, maybe a little cute, maybe a little meaningful.
Who knows, he may look back on this in six months or six years as one of the best gifts he’s ever received after he’s forgotten or used up his other presents.
Something to Do: Inexpensive Events
When you know that you can’t give a big expensive gift it is even more important to give him what you do have: your time and attention.
Set the theme of the day by taking charge of planning a day for the two of you that reflects the occasion. You already know he enjoys spending time with you so make it extra special for the day.
- Cheap Birthday Gifts: Choose one of his favorite activities and join in even if you don’t usually - play a video game or go watch a game, hike a mountain or tour the countryside on bike. In any even make the day about him.
- Cheap Valentines Day Gifts: Make it a special date night. You’ve been together long enough to know what you enjoy doing together. Celebrate that – watch a movie or just go on a walk. Catch a concert in the park or catch the koalas at the zoo (yes, even in February I love the zoo in the winter: you don’t have to deal with huge crowds to see stuff).
- Cheap Christmas Gifts: Go skating or sledding; better yet organizing a snowball fight with your friends doesn’t cost a dime. If you really want to have something wrapped to go with the other presents you can pick several inexpensive Christmas gifts or candies and fill a stocking for him without breaking the bank.
Something to Give: Cute Cheap Gifts for your Boyfriend
Once you’ve established the theme of the day you’ve made it easy to come up with lots of cheap gift ideas for your boyfriend. Generally thoughtfulness buy almost as much as, you know, money when it comes to picking gifts that he will treasure.
Since you can’t afford to get him a big gift, get him the right gift. Look for an opportunity in this date that you are planning to get him a little something that will be the right gift at the right time
- One of the most versatile forms of this I’ve seen is to personalize something for him. Get a t-shirt and customize it with an iron-on transfer of something appropriate to the day. You can do his favorite sports team or his favorite video game character. You can do a quote about one of his hobbies or a picture of the mountain you hiked together.
- If you are going to a game at school get him a non-branded piece of clothing in your school colors. This can be a very inexpensive gift for your boyfriend since most of the price tag for official team gear is for slapping a logo on the thing.
- Get an accessory appropriate for whatever you are doing on the day. A thick scarf if you are waging a snowball war or refills for his patch kit if you are going on a bike tour. To make it a great gift make it uniquely suited to the two of you and your day.
Something to Take Away: Picking Cheap Meaningful Gifts
The whole point of this day is that the best gifts aren’t bought, let alone wrapped: memories, feelings, shared jokes and stories. Plan a little ahead of time for what you would like to capture of the occasion and you can end the day with a bang.
- Frame it: Get a frame ahead of time (these can be just a few dollars at a WalMart or a Target or even less on Amazon if you’ve got time to wait for shipping) and turn anything into a souvenir of the day. Frame the tickets that got you into the game or the zoo or the concert. Frame the note that you used to invite him out. Frame anything that might remind both of you of the occasion.
- Pictures: If you snap a few pictures of the two of you throughout the day you can surprise him by sending the pictures from your phone to a web album and enlisting a friend to print them out while you are still running around. Bonus points for framing these, of course, which can run as little as a couple of bucks if you use a photo mat.
- Found gifts: Pick up a neat stone while you are out hiking or a shell found on the beach, a fifty cent toy from a street vendor or a handful of flowers (after pressing). Look around your room, do you have favorite souvenirs that remind you of special occasions in your life? How might you do something like that for him?
With a little forethought and an open pair of eyes you can give him a gift that no-one else can give. Who cares that it’s cheap? If it makes him happy, if it makes both of you happy you’ve given a great gift.